new home construction insurance

new home construction insurance

New home construction insurance

We provide house warranty / commercial latent defects insurance. We also offer life cycle assessments and durability design assessments for offsite construction.

BLP (Building LifePlans Ltd), part of the Thomas Miller Group, has been providing building defects insurance since 1999.

Our policies are underwritten by Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty, an AA rated global insurer, and are underpinned by an independent technical appraisal aimed at minimising defects right from the design stage.

Our housing warranty insurance product is a compelling alternative to the 'traditional' 10 year house warranty solutions. Our cover has a one off cost so the builder/developer does not need to provide an annual membership fee, additional security and financial bonds. Learn more about BLP's building warranty insurance.

Our commercial latent defects insurance product is the most comprehensive in the market: M&E cover, Component Failure, Loss of Rent and financial limits to match the exposure. All aimed to protect the investment with a single policy from one of the world's largest insurance groups. Learn more about BLP's commercial latent defects insurance.

BLP is also a leading resource for ‘whole life cost’ methodology in UK residential construction, and offers durability and maintenance assessments to facilitate the adoption of modular construction and other innovative and offsite manufactured systems. Learn more about BLP's consultancy services.

BLP now offers LDI in the Republic of Ireland - BLP Insurance has worked with Marsh Ireland to offer the MARSH BUILDPROTECT latent defects insurance product for the residential and mixed use development construction sector in the Republic of Ireland. View the article

'The value of modular construction in revitalising the housing market' - Housing in Manchester is experiencing a significant turnaround but demand is not being met, presenting a major opportunity to embrace alternative methods of construction. View the White Paper

Benefits of housing warranty insurance - This booklet explains what a warranty should cover, and the different solutions to address the needs of a changing market. View the booklet

'Drivers for sustainability in construction' - At a local, national and global level business as usual simply isn’t working when it comes to construction and the urban environment, and the cost of inaction is becoming increasingly clear. View the White Paper

Foundations laid for build to rent - Kim Vernau of BLP Insurance examines the build to rent market and what support is on offer. View the article

'The role of sensors and data in the built environment' - Ageing and inadequate infrastructure, which fails to meet our society’s changing demographics and lifestyle needs presents an increasing challenge for the future of our UK cities. View the White Paper

BLP Code for the Sale of New Homes - CTSI Stage 2 Approved - established to ensure that best practice is followed in respect of the marketing, selling and purchase of Homes and the after sales customer care service which would include the rectification of Snagging. View the short video

'The burning platform for construction' - The UK construction industry faces irreversible decline over the next decade unless industry leaders, market participants and the government take fundamental steps right now to change how the industry works. View the White Paper

We pride ourselves on providing proactive solutions within our Project Management and Quantity and Monitoring Surveying Services. We can always rely on BLP’s innovative approach to meet our clients’ demands by delivering the level of service required in today’s market place.

We offer customized construction insurance including general liability, workers' compensation, commercial auto insurance and much more. Certain coverages for contractors are available by themselves, but we also offer full BOPs with a wide variety of options.

Who needs construction insurance?

Any business that works in a construction trade, such as building construction, heavy construction or home improvement, needs to carry construction insurance to protect them from risk. We offer many types of construction insurance including:

  • Security Company Insurance
  • Home Builder Insurance
  • Developer Insurance
  • Renovation Insurance
  • Welding Insurance
  • And more.

Laws may vary by state, so make sure you're familiar with the local rules and regulations where you work.

General liability insurance, or GL, is a fundamental part of construction insurance. It could provide protection against lawsuits and other financial liabilities that result from things like accidents or other mishaps.

GL is often bundled with a variety of other coverages in a Business Owners Policy, or BOP. However, you might be eligible to get construction insurance with general liability coverage through the Progressive Advantage ® Business Program without getting a full BOP. Check eligibility.

Business Owners Insurance (BOP) could provide various protections for construction businesses including general liability insurance, and loss of income coverage. Find out if you’re eligible to include BOP - through the Progressive Advantage Business Program - as a part of your construction insurance plan. Check eligibility.

Workers' compensation insurance

Workers' compensation insurance through the Progressive Advantage Business Program could help cover the medical costs and a portion of lost wages for an employee who becomes ill or injured during work.

Discover if you're eligible to include workers' compensation coverage to your construction insurance package. Check eligibility.

Construction insurance for vehicles

We provide many types of construction vehicle insurance including:

  • Cement Mixer Insurance
  • Pump Truck Insurance
  • Bucket Truck Insurance
  • Straight Truck Insurance

We also offer an extensive line of trailer insurance for whatever you’re hauling. View all the types of commercial trailers we insure.

Learn more common types of commercial vehicles we insure and browse commercial auto insurance information organized by vehicle type.

Accidents happen. General liability protects your for claims resulting from bodily injury, property damage, or completed operations. Typical coverage limits are $1 million / $2 million. However, we can offer $2MM/$4MM.

Many contractors employ architects and designers. Design defects, equipment replacement, and costly delays can all result in huge professional liability or errors and omissions claims.

Increase safety and mitigate claims to ultimately lower your experience modification and reduce your premiums. Audits can be painful. We can help you properly classify your employees and walk you through the audit.

We are a full service firm. We provide all lines of insurance including, Auto, Cargo, Warehouse Liability, Equipment Floater, Riggers Liability, Life, Health, Home, Disability. and Surety Bonds.

Contractors have highly complex insurance requirements. From contractor liability to workers compensation it’s vital you have an insurance broker well versed in the industry. Check out the program at Kirkwood for true expertise on your contractor.

Construction Safety – Reduce Falls

Safety is critical on construction sites. Falls are the leading cause of death for construction workers. OSHA mandates protective measures be implemented for residential construction 6 feet or higher. Roof work has a particularly high risk of falls. Installing roof.

Two companies were recently fined over $15,000 by OSHA for not providing adequate safety protection for their workers. OSHA cited them for over 12 safety violations. The inspection found that they failed to implement fall protection for workers to protect them from.

Home Warranty Insurance on New Homes

Contact Name: Licensing & Consumer Services

Toll Free Number: 1-800-407-7757

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday

According to the Homeowner Protection Act and regulations, new homes built in B.C. by licensed residential builders must be covered by mandatory, third-party home warranty insurance.

It’s one of the strongest construction defect insurance coverages in Canada.

The below summaries are for convenience only. They do not replace or supersede the Act and Regulation. You should consult the Act and Regulation for specific guidance regarding home warranty insurance and residential builder licensing.

This applies to all new homes constructed under building permits applied for on or after July 1, 1999 (or where construction started on or after July 1, 1999, in areas not requiring building permits), unless they are specifically excluded by the Homeowner Protection Act or Regulations.

At a minimum, home warranty insurance coverage includes:

  • 2 years on labour and materials (some limits apply)
  • 5 years on the building envelope, including water penetration
  • 10 years on the structure of the home

The two-year labour and materials coverage covers any defect in labour and materials for:

  • 12 months on detached homes and on non-common property in strata units (including fee simple homes)
  • 15 months on the common property of strata buildings
  • 24 months on all new buildings for defects when related to delivery and distribution systems; defects related to the exterior cladding, caulking, windows or doors that may lead to detachment or material damage to the new home; coverage for violations of the Building Code that constitute a health or safety risk or is likely to result in damage to the new home; and defects which render the home unfit to live in.

Minimum coverage for third-party home warranty insurance is set by legislation. As a minimum, homes built by Licensed Residential Builders must have 2-5-10 Year Home Warranty Insurance . Some new homes have warranty insurance coverage that exceeds the minimum requirement. You should carefully review your home warranty insurance policy documents which will provide specific details on the home warranty insurance coverage on your home.

The warranty is attached to the home, not to the owner of the home, and remains in effect upon the re-sale of the home until the coverage expires.

Strata-titled homes have two policies of home warranty insurance: one on the home and the other on the common property. Sometimes when the coverage of a new strata-titled home starts, the coverage on the related common property has already started — or expired. Coverage on the common property of strata-titled buildings starts when the first unit in the building is occupied or sold.

The most common exemption from the licensing and home warranty insurance requirements is a new home built under an Owner Builder Authorization.

Unless home warranty insurance is provided, owner-built homes are subject to the 10-year Statutory Protection provisions of the Act. These provisions hold the owner builder personally responsible to subsequent purchasers for any defects in labour, materials or design for 10 years after first occupancy.

If you buy such a home and find defects, you must contact the owner builder directly. Any action to remedy defects by a purchaser must be started within the 10-year period.

The Act and Regulation also exempt the following classes of new homes from the requirements for home warranty insurance, registration fees, reconstruction fees and builder licensing:

  1. Manufactured homes, including mobile homes (CSA-Z240) and factory-built homes (CAN/CSA-A277)
  2. Hotels and motels
  3. Dormitories
  4. Care facilities
  5. Floating homes

However, if any of the above (excepting manufactured homes) are strata-titled, they are deemed to be new homes and require home warranty insurance, registration fees and reconstruction fees (where geographically applicable).

The Act and Regulation exempt the following classes of “new homes” from the requirement for licensing, home warranty insurance, registration fees and reconstruction fees:

  • Multi-unit buildings owned under a single title and constructed for rental purposes
  • Multi-unit buildings that are strata-titled, but held under single ownership and constructed for rental purposes
  • Three or more dwelling units built for rental purposes and owned under a single legal title

In these cases, the owner must provide a restrictive covenant that is registered on the title restricting the sale of any dwelling unit for a 10-year period. More information can be found in the Rental Exemption section of our website.

New homes on First Nations lands

Homes built on First Nations reserve lands are also excluded from the requirements of the Homeowner Protection Act and are not required to be built by a Licensed Residential Builder and have 2-5-10 year home warranty insurance coverage. It's important to note that homes built on Treaty First Nations lands are not exempt from these requirements and do require licensing and home warranty insurance coverage. While licensing and home warranty insurance are not required for homes built on reserve lands, builders constructing homes on reserve lands may voluntarily become licensed or offer home warranty insurance for the homes they build. If a new home is voluntarily enrolled in home warranty insurance coverage, the coverage provided must meet the minimum requirements of the Actand regulations; it is exactly the same coverage as the mandatory 2-5-10 year home warranty insurance coverage.

Commencement dates on home warranty insurance are:

Fee simple (primarily detached dwelling units)

  • Custom homes: date of occupancy or date of first occupancy permit, whichever occurs earliest
  • Spec. (speculative) homes: date of first occupancy or date of transfer of legal title, whichever occurs earliest
  • Strata unit: date of first occupancy or date of transfer of legal title to first owner, whichever occurs earliest
  • Common property: date of first-unit occupancy or date of transfer of legal title, whichever occurs earliest

The Act and Regulations say what the home warranty insurance companies can exclude from their policies.

General exclusions can include:

  • Landscaping
  • Non-residential detached structures (parking structures, recreational and amenity facilities in multi-unit buildings are covered)
  • Commercial use areas
  • Roads, curbs and lanes (driveways are covered)
  • Site grading and surface drainage
  • The operation of municipal services
  • Septic tanks and fields
  • Water quality and quantity

Defect related exclusions can include:

  • Normal wear and tear
  • Normal shrinkage of materials from construction
  • Use of new home for non-residential purposes
  • Labour, materials and design supplied by the owner
  • Damage caused by anyone other than the residential builder
  • Damage caused by insects or rodents
  • Failure of an owner to prevent or minimize damage
  • Acts of nature

Coverage on claims works as follows:

Fee simple (primarily detached dwelling units):

  • The lesser of the first owner’s purchase price or $200,000
  • Strata unit: lesser of the first owner’s purchase price or $100,000
  • Common property: the lesser $100,000 times the number of dwelling units in the building or $2.5 million per building

We have lots of extra help for owners and prospective homebuyers looking for more detailed information on home warranty insurance in B.C.

Our Guide to Home Warranty Insurance in British Columbia describes in greater depth how the home warranty insurance system works, what it covers, how to get the most out of it and what to do if you find a possible defect.

The Home Warranty Insurance in British Columbia: What You Need to Know to Protect Your Investment handbook has tips to help new home buyers and owners of new homes understand the basics of home warranty insurance as well as their rights and responsibilities.

Our Residential Construction Performance Guide can help you identify if a possible defect in design, labour or materials in your new home is covered by home warranty insurance.

The Homeowner Protection Act and Regulations detail all information about home warranty insurance, including:

New home construction insurance

From homeowners to developers, find out how we can build better together.

"CRL is one of the Structural Defects Insurance providers that Clanmil works with as we progress the development of more great homes for people who need them in Northern Ireland"

"When sourcing the appropriate cover for our developments, CRL are able to take all of our requirements on board, unusual quirks of a build and ensure they have in place the highest quality standards and cover."

"We would recommend CRL to any residential developer or local builder that could benefit from the expertise of the team, to ensure the highest quality standards and cover."

Can't find what you're looking for?

Request a call back from one of our trusted guides now:

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Пока оценок нет)
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

6 + 3 =

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: