- 1 progressive term life insurance
- 1.1 Compare Term Life Insurance Quotes- SelectQuote-AIG Direct-Geico-MetLife-Prudential-Progressive-State Farm-Savings Bank-Accuquote-Intelliquote
- 1.2 Term life insurance is best for specific expenses
- 1.3 17 Progressive Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints
- 1.4 Everything You Need to Know About Progressive Insurance
- 1.4.1 Types of Progressive Home Insurance
- 1.4.2 What Are Progressive's Best Home Insurance Products And Services?
- 1.4.3 What Does Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance Cover?
- 1.4.4 What Does Progressive’s Homeowners or Renters Insurance Cost?
- 1.4.5 How Do Customers Rate Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance?
- 1.4.6 The Progressive Snapshot Program
- 1.4.7 Progressive’s Liability and Collision Coverage
- 1.4.8 Claim Satisfaction From Progressive
- 1.4.9 Progressive’s Accident Forgiveness
- 1.4.10 Bundled Savings With Progressive
- 1.4.11 How Much Does Progressive Auto Insurance Cost?
- 1.4.12 How Do Customers Rate Progressive Auto Insurance?
- 1.4.13 The Advantage Life Program From Progressive and Efinancial
- 1.4.14 How Much Does Progressive Life Insurance Cost?
- 1.4.15 How Do Customers Rate Progressive Life Insurance?
- 1.5 Available Discounts From Progressive Insurance
- 1.6 Progressive's Strengths and Weaknesses
- 1.6.1 Progressive Insurance Strengths
- 1.6.2 Progressive Insurance Weaknesses
- 1.6.3 Common Complaints About Progressive
- 1.6.4 How Do I File a Claim With Progressive?
- 1.6.5 Does My State Offer Progressive Services?
- 1.6.6 How Many Customers Does Progressive Serve?
- 1.6.7 How Much Does Progressive Insurance Go Up After an Accident and/or Citation?
- 1.6.8 What Does Progressive’s Comprehensive Insurance Cover?
- 1.6.9 Does My Progressive Insurance Cover a Rental Car?
- 1.6.10 Does My Progressive Insurance Cover Me in Canada (or Internationally)?
- 1.6.11 Does Progressive Use My Credit Score?
- 1.6.12 How User-Friendly Is the Progressive App or Website?
- 1.6.13 How Competitive Are Progressive's Rates?
- 1.6.14 What Are Progressive's Financial Strengths?
- 1.7 Compare Progressive to Other Options
progressive term life insurance
Available through the workplace, MetLife Term Life Insurance is a cost effective way to help provide financial protection for your family with coverage for a selected period of time.
Common types of term life insurance that may be available through your workplace include:
Basic Term Life: Generally an employer-paid coverage offered for a set period of time that provides your beneficiaries with essential financial protection.
Supplemental Term Life: An employee-paid benefit allowing you to purchase additional protection as your needs change over time. Dependent, spouse or domestic partner coverage may also be available. 1
Dependent Term Life: Provides coverage for your spouse, civil union partner or domestic partner and eligible children.
For complete plan details, talk to your company’s benefits administrator.
A death in the family is not only emotionally devastating, it can also take a tremendous toll on the future financial security of a family. Suddenly, without the deceased’s income, paying the mortgage or providing for a child's college education may become much more difficult.
Those who buy life insurance generally do so to help ensure their loved ones are taken care of financially. Life insurance is a promise by an insurance company to pay those who depend on you a sum of money upon your death. In return, you make periodic payments called premiums. Premiums can be based on factors such as age, gender, medical history and the dollar amount of the life insurance you purchase.
In the event of your passing, life insurance provides money directly to the individuals you select, your beneficiaries, who can use the money as they see fit, including:
- Replacing lost income
- Covering basic living expenses
- Paying household debts, estate taxes and funeral expenses
- Funding a child’s education
- Supplementing retirement savings
Life insurance comes in two main types – term and permanent – which may both be available through your workplace.
Term life insurance pays a specific lump sum to your loved ones, providing coverage for a specified period of time – usually from one to 20 years. If you stop paying premiums, the insurance stops. Term policies pay benefits if you die during the period covered by the policy, but they do not build cash value. They may also give you the option to port. That is, you can take the coverage with you if you leave your company.
Generally, you should consider a term life insurance policy to:
- Get valuable coverage at an affordable price
- Help cover specific financial responsibilities like a mortgage or college expenses
- Supplement a permanent policy
Permanent life insurance policies do not expire. They are intended to protect your loved ones permanently, as long as you pay your premiums. Some permanent life insurance policies accumulate cash value. That means the value of the policy may grow each year, tax-deferred, until it matches the face value of the policy. The cash can generally be accessed via loans or withdrawals, and can be used for a variety of purposes. This type of policy is typically portable so coverage can continue if employment terminates.
Consider a permanent insurance policy if you want:
- Protection for life
- Payments that stay the same each year
- To put additional money into the policy on a tax-favored basis
- Cash value you can use while you are living
Getting life insurance through work can be an easy way to protect your family. If your employer offers a group plan, consider signing up for advantages that may include:
- Competitive group rates
- Guaranteed issue, meaning you can get a certain amount of coverage without answering health questions or taking a medical exam
- Convenient payroll deductions
- Easy access to enrollment and educational tools that can help you make decisions about the type and amount of insurance that’s right for you
- The confidence of knowing that your employer has reviewed and selected the plan
All you have to do is sign up, and sometimes enrollment is automatic.
Term life insurance is life insurance coverage designed to be purchased for a specific time period, typically between 10 and 30 years. Term life insurance is an affordable way to get maximum coverage throughout that time frame, and so is great for helping to cover specific financial responsibilities, such as paying for a mortgage or saving for college expenses.
While you won’t be able to pinpoint the amount you’ll need to the penny, you can make a sound estimate. Your goal should be to develop a life insurance plan that, following your death, will allow your family to live comfortably without your economic contribution. Also consider the effect of inflation over time. The amount needed for retirement or college 20 years from now is likely to be significantly higher than today.
To estimate the amount of life insurance your family would need, first calculate everything you now provide for your family including:
- Benefits/health insurance
- 401(k) and retirement savings
- Personal services you perform for your family, such as child care, cooking, home maintenance, etc.
Then, subtract your personal expenses including:
- Annual spending on personal needs, such as food, clothing, entertainment, etc.
Life insurance through your workplace may be more affordable than you think. In fact, many people can get term life insurance coverage from a quality company for a surprisingly affordable price. 2
Premiums are typically based on factors such as:
- Age, sex, height and weight
- Health status, including whether or not you smoke
- Participation in high-risk occupations
Life insurance gets more expensive as you get older, and the type of coverage you choose will also affect your premium. Rates for term insurance are typically lower, while rates for permanent policies are typically higher.
Compare Term Life Insurance Quotes- SelectQuote-AIG Direct-Geico-MetLife-Prudential-Progressive-State Farm-Savings Bank-Accuquote-Intelliquote
Rule # 1 when considering any purchase – it pays to shop around. The end result hopefully leads to a wider variety of choices and cheaper prices.
This must be true when it comes to shopping for life insurance, right?
There are a number of websites to choose from on Google’s page 1 search results when you type in the keywords term life insurance quotes. Every website says they can save you $$$. For example, AIG Direct says “get up to 70% more life insurance for the same cost as other carriers”. Is this really true?
See for yourself. Below are the companies that appear on page 1 of Google for the keywords term life insurance quotes. A comparison quote was run on each website using the same information – MALE | DATE OF BIRTH 4/11/1969 | $500,000 | 20 YEAR TERM | BEST HEALTH CLASS. Here are the results…
The cost of life insurance is fixed based on 3 Variables.
- The amount of life insurance – For example, $100,000 | $250,000 | $500,000
- When does the policy expire?- 10 | 15 | 20 | 25 | 30 years | or | Age 95 | 100 | 121
- The approved health class
IMPORTANT. The health class is the unknown when shopping for life insurance. All life insurance companies have about 10 health classes. #1 health class is the best and has the least expensive price BUT you have to be extremely health to get it. Things like height & weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, as well as other factors, will determine your exact health class.
Here is an example of how a change in health class will effect the price of life insurance. Let’s use the Prudential quote above.
If the prices are fixed, and the companies are the same, then does it matter what website you buy your life insurance from?
Yes!! The difference is in the APPROACH & SERVICE. Let’s start with a few of the big ones.
SelectQuote – The most recognizable name in the business. Does this make them the best? Not exactly! Despite the fact SelectQuote represents the most competitive life insurance companies, their approach can be aggressive and their service can sometimes be sub par.
- You will first notice that you can not get instant life insurance quotes from their website. You must fill out a questionnaire then a licensed call center employee will call you back and speak with you over the telephone. They will then send a follow up email with the quotes.
- The licensed call center employee has a 5 application/day quota. Meaning there is pressure on you to get it done!
- SelectQuote has licensed call center employees instead of independent agents to handle their enormous website traffic. Call center employees generally have a high turn over rate. The end result is you might not speak to the same person who sold you the policy if you need help in the future.
- Despite the fact the call center employee is licensed to speak to you about life insurance, the are NOT the ones who will sign the application as your agent. This is done by a manager or the owner. Regardless, it is someone you have never spoken to.
- “SelectQuote – We shop, you save”. You have heard this in their advertising. In actuality, this is far from the truth. Once you apply to the first life insurance company, that’s it. Whatever offer comes back will be presented as the best offer possible even if another option exists that will save you money. It is not cost effective for them to redo the application with another company to get a better offer when they have so many new prospects to sell.
Need more details about SelectQuote?
AIG Direct – Can you really get up to 70% more life insurance for the same cost as other carriers? The answer is NO. Just look at the sample quotes above. AIG Direct is American General Life and they are not unique. If fact, almost every website sells American General. What about AIG Direct’s approach & service?
- You can get instant quotes from AIG Direct’s website but only for American General Life.
- Be prepared for your phone to ring! Your contact information is loaded into AIG Direct’s auto dialer which will call you over and over again.
- Your email inbox overflows with “trying to contact you emails”.
- AIG Direct also uses licensed call center employees. High sales quotas leading to sub par service and employee turn over. Again, you might not speak same person in the future if you need help.
- The licensed call center employee you speak to is NOT the agent who signs your application.
Need more details about AIG Direct?
Accuquote | Geico | Intelliquote | Progressive
- Each of these websites look different but quote the same top rated life insurance companies at the same fixed prices.
- All use an auto dialer to repeatedly call you back over and over again.
- Non stop “trying to contact you” emails
- Licensed call center employees = sub par service. Again, they are not the actual agent signing your application.
MetLife | Prudential | Savings Bank | State Farm | AAA Members Only Group Term Life Insurance.
- Each one of these company direct websites provide only that single company’s quote. However, MetLife, Prudential, and Savings Bank all have very competitive prices and are some of the leading companies in the market. The downside with theses websites though is a lack of comparisons to other companies. In the end it is better to use a website which represents them all. This makes it easy to do side by side comparisons.
- State Farm – Although they have name recognition, they are expensive! Quit frankly, State Farm is not where you should be buying your life insurance. There are lot of better options which will save you money.
- AAA Insurance Exclusive Members Only Group Term Life Insurance Review
Quote now & get the most affordable kind of life insurance
Term life insurance is best for specific expenses
If you have a specific need or time frame in mind, then term life insurance may be your best choice. And with Progressive ® Life by Efinancial, you don't just get affordable term life insurance. You get the most bang for your buck, as term life is the most affordable kind of life insurance available through Efinancial.
What is term life insurance and when it’s best
Term life insurance policies are available for ages 18-80, and you can choose to have your policy last from set term lengths—the most common are 10, 15, 20, 30 years and pay out $100,000+. Your payments and benefit are fixed, meaning that neither will change or fluctuate during your term length.
Specific situations: Term life insurance is perfect for specific time frames, such as paying off your 30-year mortgage, or for specific needs, such as paying your children’s college costs that will start in 15 years. Basically if your finances are in order, but you’re worrying about a few larger expenses that you can time, term life will give you the most bang for your buck. If you want a policy that lasts your entire lifetime, then permanent life insurance might be best for you.
Keep in mind that term life insurance rates are usually more affordable while you’re younger, and rates can increase as you get older. So the sooner you request a quote, the better your price may be.
Everything else term life insurance covers
When you get a term life insurance quote, you should determine how much coverage your family will need. Typically, customers get term life insurance to cover:
- Lost income
- Mortgage payments
- Children's college tuition
- Other debts that have specific end dates such as a car loan or business loan
- Funeral or any other expenses your family may have
Get a term life insurance quote and instantly compare rates
We selected Efinancial to help you instantly compare term life insurance rates. Just get a quote, review a few different policy options, and estimated rates from leading term life insurance companies—then continue with the best company for you.
Depending on the coverage you select, a brief medical exam may be required to secure the best rate. See more on other types of life insurance we offer.
This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.
17 Progressive Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints
My husband is a terminally ill veteran with service related illness. It is not easy caring for a man with Stage 4 asbestosis 24/7. With so little help from the VA I don't need Progressive Insurance to make it harder. I received a rude, demanding letter from them requesting ridiculous documentation with threat to cancel my policy. Why would I want to jump hoops in order to keep a policy with a company with so little customer respect. I will not elaborate but they requested 30 items unrelated to my car, my driving, or my spouse who is blind if not bedridden. I think the blood of a virgin was in there, in So Cal? Not happenin' honey. They should not be allowed to make sales to military families.
Rates are low, easy to work with client, and available for any questions regarding life insurance. Different options are available depending on your income and age. Other insurance policies can be purchased through them such as Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Term Life Insurance, and Supplemental Insurance if you need money within 24 hours if you been in an accident and unable to work but still need to pay the bills. Agents may go to your place of employment and thoroughly explain the different insurance plans and options available for each plan and custom "fit" your plan to match your needs at an affordable cost to give you peace of mind.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
Good experience with the lady I dealt in the process of purchasing my life insurance policy. It has been a pleasure dealing with the company that is offered my life insurance. I would definitely recommend the company to my family and friends.
I am very happy with my insurance company and will continue to use them. They offered me the lowest rate at a very reasonable price. They provide the insurance I need to protect me and my family with great customer service.
Pricing is reasonable. Customer service and policy access is wonderful. Internet login is user friendly. Website is easy to navigate and extremely secure. Policy is detailed and easy to follow.
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Life Insurance?
1,061,018 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I have never thought about getting it until my personal officer recommend it and I have family so thought it was a good idea if something should happen to me. I was very happy with it. She explained everything to me in detail and go all the right paperwork done fast and easy and she did most of the work.
Other than making my monthly premiums on time, my only "experience" with my life insurance company was from before I was a customer of theirs. My mother used them for her life insurance and when she passed away 2 years ago, they were very good about updating me on the progress of the payout. The payout occurred in a reasonable amount of time. They also directly sent to the funeral home the amount that was owed to them so that I wouldn't have to mail a check to the funeral home myself.
The rates are very good along with coverage. The service has been great. Had 2 claims in the last five years (other insurance company paid anyway - not my fault) but I just called them and they handled everything. No problem.
Progressive has very helpful phone representatives that are articulate and efficient. Every time I contacted Progressive, I have been pleased with the responses. Also, I have never had an issue with my policies. They have been quick to set up, revise and cancel. Finally, I believe that I have the best rates available based on my research of insurance companies for my family situation and needs.
I had have a great experience with my life insurance. They answer my questions the best they can. They don't treat me like another client. I'm not on hold for a long time.
I had one claim and they paid but did not provide exceptional service or explain the steps involved in the estimate process very well. I describe myself as satisfied because they did pay in a timely way. But could have been more responsive and provided better customer service. Do provide me with a competitive premium.
They have been very responsible and have been able to help us when we needed it. The cost is a little less than other companies. We haven't had any issues.
I am very happy with my life insurance. There were no medical issues and I was able to decide what I want to pay and what cover I wanted to have and decide how long which is better if you are able to control everything.
Typical life insurance experience. No medical test policy so pretty easy to get over the phone in about 10 minutes. Went through a quote website so for about 2 weeks after I selected my policy I kept receiving phone calls and emails from just about every insurance company out there.
So far I am very happy with this company. I was worried about the price because I thought it was very expensive, but I have had this insurance for a while and it has worked out well.
I have been with Progressive for five years now and I am quite pleased with them. Even though I have yet to file a claim with them, they are very good at computer e-mail correspondence with regards to reminding me when it is time to renew my policy, always giving me sufficient time to do this, and offering to help me with any new needs I might have.
My insurance company is great. I haven't had any problems with them. They keep me updated about any changes that may affect my coverage. They also charge a reasonable price.
Progressive Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle
Progressive Life Insurance helps individuals understand and compare different types of life insurance and choose policies that meet their needs. The company offers term, permanent and final expense life insurance, as well as a wide variety of riders, saving components and payment options. With an established quote system, a customer service telephone line and a wide range of policies, Progressive Life Insurance helps people plan for a secure future.
Free quotes: Progressive Life Insurance offers free policy quotes, allowing individuals to compare insurance types and add-on options online.
Quick coverage: Progressive typically provides life insurance coverage in as little as four to six weeks after application completion, although some smaller-term life policies may be approved in as little as a day.
Reporting and tracking claims: Progressive Life Insurance provides full-service claims processing both online and by phone.
No medical exam: Progressive Life Insurance offers final expense insurance in as little as one day after application without requiring the applicant to undergo a pre-coverage medical exam.
Flexible options: Progressive Life Insurance offers a full range of riders and policy options, allowing individuals to customize policies to their unique needs.
Life Insurance Contributing Editor
Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.
Progressive Life Insurance Company Information
ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.
Everything You Need to Know About Progressive Insurance
Progressive Insurance provides home, auto and life insurance coverage to millions of Americans. But should you be one of them? That's the question this guide is built to help you answer. From info about Progressive's rates to common complaints, this is the ultimate resource for deciding whether Progressive is right for you!
Progressive Mutual Insurance Company – established in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green – started as an opportunity to give vehicle owners “security and protection” and has since helped revolutionize the insurance industry. Over the last several decades, Progressive has grown to become one of the largest insurers in the nation.
In fact, Progressive was the first to introduce drive-in claims service and paying insurance premiums in installments, which aimed to make auto insurance easy and accessible for all customers. Since its founding, the company has expanded to encompass many insurance offerings.
Below, we'll cover info about each of Progressive's insurance services in more detail!
Types of Progressive Home Insurance
Progressive offers multiple types of insurance products, such as:
What Are Progressive's Best Home Insurance Products And Services?
While customers ranked Progressive’s customer service satisfaction lower than some other major providers, its policy offerings get above-average ratings from J.D. Power. According to reviews of its services, Progressive’s best home insurance offerings include:
What Does Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance Cover?
When it comes to protecting your home, Progressive offers a wide range of insurance solutions for every type of homeowner. Regardless of the claim size, protection from a major insurance provider can give you peace of mind in the event of an accident or disaster. Having home insurance services from Progressive can protect your personal belongings (even if they aren’t stored in your home) from damage or theft, and coverage with Progressive even covers hotel expenses and legal fees should you need them.
Progressive offers property coverage to protect condos and helps you maintain upgrades and cover repairs, including floors, walls, and fixtures. Progressive also offers liability protection that covers significant expenses like damages or a lawsuit.
For the millions of Americans who currently rent their home, renters insurance from Progressive can help cover the items you own, like electronics and jewelry, which can be costly to purchase and even more expensive to replace if your insurance provider is reimbursing you with the depreciated value when they’re lost or damaged.
With Progressive’s renters insurance, your valuables will be replaced for the price they cost when newly purchased, so you don’t need to worry about downgrading your computer or TV or covering the difference yourself. Also, if an accident should happen while renting, you and anyone who is in your apartment or home at that time will be covered by your policy.
As with any other form of a deductible, you pay a portion of the repair or medical bills, and Progressive covers the rest.
What Does Progressive’s Homeowners or Renters Insurance Cost?
Use our free quote tool to get an idea of what Progressive’s home insurance could cost you. Keep in mind, Progressive also has bundled offers, so you may end up paying even less. Here are a couple of examples of what you might expect to pay for homeowners and renters insurance from Progressive.
- Someone in Salem, Oregon, renting an apartment for just over $1,000 a month might pay $195 a year in renters insurance.
- Someone in Boise, Idaho, renting a townhouse for $1,450 a month might pay $255 a year for renters insurance.
- Someone in Sacramento, California, who owns a single-family home worth between $600,000 and $700,000 might pay $834 a year based on our estimates.
- Someone in Nashville, Tennessee, renting a studio apartment for just over $1,300 a month might pay $218 a year for his or her renters insurance through Progressive.
How Do Customers Rate Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance?
Most mention their competitive rates as a key reason that Progressive works for most customers. While Progressive currently isn’t listed as an accredited Better Business Bureau company (companies pay to be listed as accredited, which means they’ve made a commitment to resolve customer complaints), its BBB rating is listed as an A with over 100 customer reviews on the site.
Progressive seems to have some fairly innovative ways of providing standard auto insurance premiums and making sure its customers pay a fair price for them.
The Progressive Snapshot Program
For instance, safe driving habits can boost your savings with Progressive’s Snapshot program. Just plug the Snapshot device into your car’s diagnostic port and it will collect data on how often and when you drive, as well as how cautious you are.
Your safe driving habits can save you money on your car insurance and don’t require extra legwork on your part. The device sends the data back to Progressive and, hopefully, (depending on how safe you are) saves you a bit of cash.
While Progressive advertises its Snapshot program as a way to save money, some users have reported negative experiences with the tool, and even occasionally a rate increase based on the findings of the system. However, even those who didn’t achieve the savings they were looking for admitted to learning better (and safer) driving habits from the results produced by the Snapshot program.
Progressive’s Liability and Collision Coverage
Accidents happen, so making sure you’re covered is important. Like most providers, Progressive offers bodily injury and property damage liability to help protect you regardless of who is at fault when something goes wrong. The company will pay the other driver’s medical bills (and any of their passengers) and for any damage. It will even protect you in the case of a lawsuit for the ultimate peace of mind.
Collision coverage will protect you if you hit or get hit by another vehicle. You choose your deductible, and Progressive will take care of the rest. Comprehensive coverage will protect your vehicle if something other than a collision damages it. You just pay the deductible, and they will pay the difference.
Claim Satisfaction From Progressive
In 2016, J.D. Power rated Progressive’s claim satisfaction a three out of five stars, or “about average.” The two subcategories where it shined the most were car appraisal and rental car satisfaction – earning a four out of five (or “better than most”) for both. Allstate offers a claim satisfaction guarantee but received practically identical ratings to Progressive in the same J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
Progressive’s Accident Forgiveness
One of Progressive's unique auto insurance solutions that can work in your favor is its accident forgiveness option. It comes standard on any auto policy, but you must be a Progressive auto policyholder for four years to qualify and be accident-free for three consecutive years. If you meet these criteria and then have an accident (even one that you’re at fault for), Progressive won’t change your rate.
Bundled Savings With Progressive
You can save by bundling your home and auto insurance. Progressive suggests that saving should be – and is – as easy as possible and that its customers save almost $600 when they switch. You can even bundle with renters insurance or coverage on a condo or townhouse, giving you multiple ways to bundle and save depending on your living status. See our larger section below on the total discounts for more information.
How Much Does Progressive Auto Insurance Cost?
Using the Quote.com tool, we found that monthly rates with Progressive can range from as little as $46 a month to over $420, depending on factors such as age, location, and vehicle. Below are a few of the Progressive quotes we created.
Depending on your driving history and the discounts you qualify for, your rate may vary. Visit Quote.com to get a personalized quote from Progressive.
- A 21-year-old male in San Diego, California, driving a 2014 Dodge Charger might pay over $240 a month.
- A 23-year-old female in Wichita, Kansas, driving a 2013 Toyota Tundra might pay approximately $152 a month.
- A 35-year-old male in Boulder, Colorado, driving a 2012 Nissan Xterra might pay less than $47 a month.
- A 29-year-old female in Brooklyn, New York, driving a 2013 Ford Focus might pay $428 a month.
- A 49-year-old-male in Pierre, South Dakota, driving a 2002 Ford F-150 might pay $30 a month.
How Do Customers Rate Progressive Auto Insurance?
Progressive Auto Insurance gets overall average ratings online. With over 2,300 individual reviews, it scored almost three out of five stars.
Positive reviews list price and policy options, and common complaints mention the difficulty of getting claims covered and the quality of recommended service centers. Some users also reported long wait times to speak with a customer service agent.
The Advantage Life Program From Progressive and Efinancial
Life insurance may not be a fun thing to think about or shop for, but the reality is you never want to leave your family without it in the event of a tragedy. Progressive says its goal is to help your family maintain the lifestyle they’ve grown accustomed to, no matter what happens. Progressive Advantage life insurance (which is powered by a third party, Efinancial) can help your family pay for funeral expenses, housing costs, and medical bills not otherwise covered by health insurance.
How Much Does Progressive Life Insurance Cost?
Flexibility from the provider helps make life insurance obtainable for most people. With rates starting at just $14 a month and coverage from $50,000 to $1 million, Progressive is focused on helping you find the right life insurance policy for you and your family. It offers term life insurance (for standard options of 10, 15, 20, and 30 years), permanent life insurance, and final expense insurance, depending on your needs and budget.
How Do Customers Rate Progressive Life Insurance?
Progressive’s life insurance coverage gets good reviews. While there are fewer overall comments, Progressive scored almost four out of five stars online.
Positive reviews mention low rates of coverage and multiple policy options, and negative reviews commonly refer to customer service when filing a claim.
Progressive's "Umbrella" coverage aims to protect your family’s assets, from college funds to retirement nest eggs, which can require additional liability coverage. In the event of a legal liability claim, the lifestyle your family has worked for can be at risk. Progressive offers personal umbrella coverage, which can help provide up to $5 million ranging from personal injury to vacation rental and defense coverage.
Despite what you may think about personal umbrella coverage, it isn’t just for the wealthy, and Progressive offers comprehensive and affordable options to help you stay in control, even if you can’t control certain events.
Available Discounts From Progressive Insurance
While many insurance companies offer discounts, Progressive prides itself on the amount it offers. There are several savings opportunities to help everyone find the right insurance.
- With Progressive, you can add an additional 5 to 12 percent on top of any other savings you might qualify for by adding a property policy to your auto policy. This includes homeowners insurance, rental insurance, and condo or townhouse coverage.
- Safe driver discounts can lower your price by almost 30 percent. If your driving record is clean over the last three years, you can significantly lower the price of your premium with Progressive.
- Here’s a real easy one: Start your quote online and save an average 7 percent.
- Sign your documents online. Save a tree and an average of $50.
- If you or your child is in school and maintain B’s or higher, you can qualify for Progressive’s good student discount.
- Discounts for how you pay. If you pay your six-month premium all at once or sign up for automatic payments, you’ll get peace of mind and extra savings.
- Multiple policy discounts. Because Progressive offers so much more than property and auto insurance, if you add any additional policies (including motorcycle, boat, life insurance, or an umbrella policy), you can earn extra discounts. There’s no additional legwork required –Progressive will ask you to bundle your services and tell you how much you’re saving.
- Progressive offers a Name Your Price Tool to help you find the right coverage for your budget. You start by getting a quote from Progressive, and then you can adjust the rate based on your budget. Progressive will then help you adjust the coverage to match your target cost.
There’s no limit to the number of discounts you can qualify for, and 95 percent of Progressive’s customers qualify for at least one type of savings.
Progressive's Strengths and Weaknesses
Progressive Insurance Strengths
With an extensive variety of coverages to choose from, you can:
Insure everything from your home and car to your assets and pets with Progressive’s wide array of product offerings.
Use innovative savings tools like the Snapshot program and Name Your Price Tool. Progressive’s roadside assistance program gives additional support if you find yourself in need of a fuel delivery or towing.
Get back precious time with Progressive’s concierge claims, from finding a body shop to securing your rental.
Use Progressive’s Snapshot program to earn extra savings depending on your overall driving habits.
Progressive Insurance Weaknesses
Why might Progressive – with the above benefits – not work for you?
Better Business Bureau complaints identify that customers sometimes struggle with increases in their premium price year after year. It is an industry practice across most providers to adjust premiums.
Some customers also expressed frustration with Progressive’s rate plans. This is offset by discounts offered through bundling insurances that can help keep your policy at a minimum while still ensuring its world-class coverage.
#1 Auto Insurance: Progressive’s most well-reviewed insurance service is its auto coverage. Because of its opportunities for discounts and forgiveness policies, customers rate Progressive’s auto insurance the highest compared to the more than two dozen services Progressive offered.
#2 Homeowners Insurance: Progressive’s homeowners insurance was ranked as its second-highest overall service. Affordable and significant financial strength make Progressive’s homeowners insurance a good buy.
#3 Life Insurance: Progressive’s life insurance policies are also among its highest rated services overall. With affordable rates and options, Progressive’s life insurance receives regular satisfactory reviews from a wide range of customers.
Common Complaints About Progressive
Difficulty Canceling Your Progressive Insurance: This is one area where Progressive seems to get a bit of flack, but its website suggests it’s easy to do. If you’ve decided that Progressive isn’t right for you and that parting ways (for whatever reason) is the right course of action, you can cancel your policy one of two ways:
- Call 1-800-776-4737 and speak to an agent about your concerns. They can help you from there.
- Do it online. Log in to your online portal and choose the “Cancel policy” link located at the bottom of your MyProgressive page.
Difficulty Filing a Claim: This is another area where Progressive sometimes gets negative reviews. Customers have reported to the Better Business Bureau that they found Progressive’s customer service less than helpful when it came time to report an accident or citation.
Progressive’s Snapshot Program: While some customers have reported positive experiences with the Snapshot program, others have detailed how it raised their premiums, and some have reported mechanical malfunctions with the device that drained their car battery.
How Do I File a Claim With Progressive?
So, you’ve signed up for Progressive, and you’ve had your first accident. Now what?
- The first step is to always report the claim. Login to your Progressive portal or call the toll-free number to get the claims process started as quickly as possible.
- By the end of the business day, a claims agent will (usually) respond to your request and set up a date and time for vehicle inspection.
- They’ll then provide an estimate for the repairs as well as cover any policy or procedural questions you may have.
- After the estimate, Progressive will help you arrange for vehicle repairs and towing if you need it. If you’re close enough to a Progressive Service Center, they’ll even handle the repairs for you, so you don’t have to source an auto shop. If not, they’ll recommend an in-network repair center you can bring your vehicle to. You can always use your own mechanic if you prefer. Note: If you use a Progressive Service Center or in-network shop, Progressive will guarantee the repair for as long as you lease or own your car.
- If you need a rental, this is where your claims representative comes in.
- Progressive will monitor the progress of your repair and keep you updated along the way until you’re back in your car and moving on with your life.
Does My State Offer Progressive Services?
If you’re in the U.S. and wondering if your state is covered, we’ve done some digging.
- Auto and homeowners insurance are available nationwide, with the exception of Florida and Alaska.
- Progressive motorcycle coverage is not available in Alaska, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, or South Carolina.
- Progressive RV insurance is not available in Washington, D.C., or Hawaii.
You can go online and request a quote or call an agent today for more specific state-by-state offerings.
How Many Customers Does Progressive Serve?
As of 2015, Progressive wrote almost 13.7 million personal policies and over 550,000 commercial policies. It also had over 1 million property policies at the time.
How Much Does Progressive Insurance Go Up After an Accident and/or Citation?
The answer to this can vary significantly based on the severity of the collision. Of course, Progressive’s accident forgiveness program can help keep these costs as low as possible and their website suggests a driver would need two tickets or citations before they saw their premium increase. Generally speaking, citations can increase your premium by anywhere from 3-22 percent, depending on the type of violation.
What Does Progressive’s Comprehensive Insurance Cover?
Comprehensive covers your vehicle in case of any damage not caused by an accident. This can include fires, vandalism, and even flooding. You pay your deductible, and Progressive will pay for the rest of the damage.
Does My Progressive Insurance Cover a Rental Car?
Yes! If you elect rental reimbursement when selecting your policy, you’ll be covered for the cost of a rental if your car is ever in for a repair due to a claim.
Does My Progressive Insurance Cover Me in Canada (or Internationally)?
Progressive policies extend to Canada, but no other international countries, unfortunately.
Does Progressive Use My Credit Score?
Like most providers, Progressive uses your credit score to help underwrite and determine your policy rate.
How User-Friendly Is the Progressive App or Website?
Google Play and Apple iPhone users both rate the app differently, but one user said, “I've been with USAA, Geico, Amica, and now Progressive. Progressive's app is my favorite. Simple, straight to the point, and everything at my fingertips. Online quote took two minutes, policy and dollar amount at the end was accurate after they ran the DMV check. Super competitive pricing. I called a progressive rep so they could fax the 2A form for me. She was friendly and knew her stuff. If they keep it up, you have a long-term customer. Please keep the current UI the best you can!”
How Competitive Are Progressive's Rates?
While Progressive’s rates aren’t considered aggressive, the company does offer more unique opportunities for discounts on your policy than most major providers. Particularly if you have good credit, bundle multiple services, or have a clean driving record, Progressive could be the provider for you.
What Are Progressive's Financial Strengths?
Progressive is rated an A+ from independent companies like A.M. Best. That excellent rating means you can be confident your coverage is backed by excellent capital and fiscal integrity.
Compare Progressive to Other Options
Of course, the best way to know whether Progressive is right for you in terms of both coverage and cost is to compare their offerings to the competition.